If you are a DStv subscriber in Zimbabwe you probably know that you can pay for the service using your Ecocash USD wallet. But now you have the option to pay your subscription fees using Mukuru Pay. This is a cash-based service from leading remittance company Mukuru provides an alternative to traditional payment methods such as going through expensive agents.
How to Pay Your DStv Bills using Mukuru Pay?
To pay for your DStv using Mukuru Pay you need a SmartPhone with WhatsApp -this shouldn’t be a problem for most people.
- Open WhatsApp
- Send a message that says “hi” to the number +263 867 700 9604 on WhatsApp.
- Select ‘Buy/Pay’ option
- Choose ‘DStv’.
- Choose whether this is a new or existing account.
- Enter your DStv smart card number.
- Specify the amount you want to pay.
- Confirm you agree to the fees for your package.
- Receive a payment order number and Mukuru code.
- Take the order and code to any Mukuru branch or booth.
- Pay your bill in cash.
Once payment is made, Mukuru transfers the funds to DStv, applying it towards your account balance. One benefit highlighted by Mukuru is the low fees starting from $1 depending on your DStv package. You should know that when you make the payment you will be charged a service fee on top of the DStv subscription. The minimum fee is US$1 and goes up to US$2 if you are paying for the Premium package. The full list of fees are shown below. I
|Package Name||Package Price||Customer fee|
|Premium + Xtraview\HD PVR||$88||$2|
Weighing the Pros and Cons
Paying DStv bills with Mukuru Pay provides a new option that may be more convenient for some subscribers. Here are some potential pros and cons to consider:
- Pay bills with cash at over 200 Mukuru locations nationwide
- There is no need to have a bank account or credit/ card to pay DStv.
- Potentially lower fees than some other payment options. It seems cheaper than using Ecocash USD.
- Ability to pay bills while sending money or running other errands
- You do not need general data, all you need is a WhatsApp bundle
- You need to visit physical Mukuru branch or booth to pay in cash
- Adds another third party between you and DStv
Assessing Your Payment Options
In addition to Mukuru Pay, DStv subscribers can pay their bills through:
- Bank transfer or deposit. Several banks offer this service and charge a service fee.
- Debit/credit card via DStv website
- Ecocash VCN
- DStv agents, some are official but some are not.