On Tuesday we published our list of what supermarkets were charging for certain basic groceries in Harare. There were a lot of basic household items missing on that list and that is by design.
Today we publish a more extended basket list that goes beyond tsaona mode. It’s a list which includes items such as Jam and dishwasher because at the end of the day we all have to do our dishes right?
We also figure you might want lotion instead of lathering up with petroleum jelly seeing as it is winter is coming to an end. You stove deserves cleaning too and maybe you want creamer instead of milk. Thai rice may be your preference.
With those merciless powercuts, you probably need candles too. If you want to use our extended basket as a shopping list please feel free.
So what are supermarkets in Harare (Zimbabwe) charging for various items today? Well here is the answer:
|Item||OK||Pick N Pay||Choppies||FoodWorld|
|Thai Rice 2kg||24.89||18.49||25.30||18.25|
|Cooking Oil 2l||26.99||23.99||26.49||24.25|
|Cereal (Cerevita) 500g||36.99||17.99||25.99||18.05|
|Peanut butter 375ml||8.99||8.99||8.99||11.85|
|Soup Usavi Mix 50g||2.55||2.89||2.85||2.80|
|Tea 100 tea bags||19.99||19.99||16.70||24.25|
|Tinned fish 155g||6.25||4.69||6.20||5.90|
|Bath soap 150g||5.69||5.79||6.65||6.60|
|Petroleum Jelly 300ml||28.29||23.99||24.25||27.45|
|Matches pack of 10 boxes||5.85||3.99||3.85||6.40|
|Scouring powder 500g||1.90||1.79||3.25||2.15|
|Surface Cleaner 500ml||13.80||14.79||13.75||13.65|
|Tissues (Pack of 4)||10.49||11.49||10.15||14.20|
|Washing Powder 2kg||55.00||56.99||44.99||56.40|
|Dish Washer 750ml||14.85||15.29||10.99||14.65|
NB: All prices are in RTGS and these supermarkets accept both swipe and Ecocash as well as cash (some people still pay using cash in supermarkets I have seen it).
Other things to note:
- For dishwasher, we considered between Sunlight and other reputable competing brands such as Clean O. This are naturally cheaper.
- For Lotion, we considered Camphor cream. It’s unisex and can be used by all members of the family. If you want to go for Nivea we understand but we wanted to cover the most number of people.
- Sun Jam and Mama’s were the cheapest jam brands depending on the shop
- All-purpose cleaner refers to Handy Andy like products here Spotless was easily the cheapest
- Creamer is Creamora, Ellis Brown was a little pricey
- Surface cleaners are used to clean tables etc. Popular brands include Clean O, Mr Muscle and Dettol.
- Scouring powder is along the Vim cleaner lines. Spotless satchets took the crown here although Choppies doesn’t seem to have refill satchets.
If you feel like we have missed an essential common item whose price you want to see regularly get in touch via the contact form.
Leave A Comment