Yesterday evening President Emmerson Mnangagwa addressed the nation and introduced Statutory Instrument 77 of 2020 which has a raft of measures meant to stem the impending tide of Covid-19 which claimed its first reported death in Zimbabwe yesterday when YouTuber Zororo Makamba passed away.
These measures are as follows:
- The president has shut down the country’s borders for travellers with immediate effect. This probably means those who intend to leave Zimbabwe can no longer do so. It’s not clear whether this applies to citizens of other countries who may be intent on leaving. Returning residents and citizens will be allowed to pass through and will have to be quarantined for 21 days whether they show symptoms or not.
- Cargo will be allowed to pass through as borders will remain open for business.
- Hospital visitations have been reduced to one visit per day by one person only
- Public gatherings limit has been reduced to a maximum of 50 people down from 100 from a week ago.
- Workers encouraged to work from home if possible
- The president issued a blanket ban on gatherings around night clubs, bars, beerhalls, movie houses, swimming pools, gymnasiums and sporting activities, until further notice.
- All overseas flights into Zimbabwe with immediate effect have been suspended.
- Informal markets remain open and have been urged to reduce activity for now.
- Commuter services remain open but will be subject to further measures.
Leave A Comment